Verizon Wireless Location-Enabled Mobile Broadband Devices Broaden GPS Capabilities For The Enterprise
Verizon Wireless today announced that businesses can now use select Mobile Broadband PC cards and USB modems with a variety of third-party Location Based Services (LBS) applications for navigation, in-vehicle tracking, geo-fencing and more. Location-Enabled Mobile Broadband uses the device’s built-in Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver to enable portable computing devices, such as laptops, to communicate relevant location information directly to the user or business.
“Enabling LBS on our Mobile Broadband devices broadens the scope of applications our business customers can implement for their field workforces,” said Mike Lanman, president of enterprise and government markets for Verizon Wireless. “And they do so knowing they have the underlying support of the nation’s largest, most reliable 3G network.”
The new service is especially relevant to organizations that rely on vehicles with mounted laptops such as public safety, delivery and maintenance workforces and others who have the following needs:
- Guided navigation – A maintenance crew can access an application for spoken turn-by-turn directions to their next job site on the mounted laptop in their truck.
- Sophisticated route planning – A delivery company can utilize an application to map out their drivers’ routes to maximize their workers’ efficiency and save money on gas.
- Advanced Geographic Information System (GIS) capabilities – A sales team can use an application to create forecasts and analysis based on geographical data, which can help identify trends or new markets.
- In-vehicle tracking and asset management – In the event of a gas leak, utilities organizations can use asset management applications to identify workers in the field that are closest to the scene for speedy dispatch to solve the problem.
- Computer-aided dispatch for public safety and government customers – A 911 operator can dispatch police officers to the scene of a crime or accident via the mounted laptops in their cruisers, providing relevant information, including directions to the location and specifics about the incident and persons involved.
Mobile Broadband devices that offer support for LBS include the Verizon Wireless USB760 Modem, Verizon Wireless PC770 2-in-1 Card and ExpressCard®, and the MiFi™ 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot.