Back To School Can Mean Selecting A Young Persons First Phone
Pencils? Check. Textbooks? Check. Cell phone? For families thinking of providing a first cell phone to their youngsters, Verizon Wireless offers tips and considerations so that the experience is a positive one for both parents and their children.
- Simple yet cool. Phones that get the basics done and still have a stylish look may be a good compromise for parents and children. Younger children may need a phone that only allows calling, while an older teen may want a mobile phone that is able to play music; has a QWERTY keypad and camera; can send and receive video and picture messages; and allows threaded text messages so they can view an entire conversation. Verizon Wireless offers a portfolio of some 30 phones from which to choose the perfect back-to-school phone.
- Establish a budget. Good habits can be established by handling monthly minutes and messages on an allowance basis. A 450-minute monthly allowance described as 15 minutes a day can help a young person better understand their limits.
- Set download limitations. Setting a spending limit for downloads may be a good idea if purchasing a phone that allows music, games or video downloads. The limits give the child clear expectations, establish spending habits and give the young person some control over their wireless budget.
- Messaging plans. Avoid surprises on the monthly bill. Young people often send text messages more than they call. A $10, $15 or $20 messaging plan can be added to any Verizon Wireless Nationwide plan to give youngsters unlimited messaging to other Verizon Wireless customers and 500, 1,000, or 5,000 messages respectively to those on other wireless networks.
- Verizon Wireless Family SharePlans. Verizon Wireless offers a host of Family SharePlans capable of meeting most families’ lifestyles. The Nationwide Basic Family SharePlan® begins at $69.99 monthly access for two lines with 700 Anytime Minutes. All Verizon Wireless Family SharePlans include unlimited calling to other Verizon Wireless customers and most allow unlimited messaging.
- A monthly Usage Control subscription. For $4.99 a month added to their monthly service plan, parents can set the limits they want on their children’s phones inclusive of:
- Usage Allowances to set limits for voice minutes and messages that can be used during a billing cycle.
- Time Restrictions to limit and control children's use of the mobile phone during a specific time of day or day of week.
- Block Numbers to restrict calls or messaging from certain numbers. A Trusted Numbers option allows calls and messages from phone numbers regardless of Usage Allowances or Time Restrictions.